Computer networking is a vast field with plenty of opportunities. Students interested in this field often feel confused about their next steps after obtaining their high school diploma. Do students need a degree for computer networking?
The truth is you can get started in networking with a certificate or diploma. This is the quickest way to enter the field. Yet, you can also move forward to obtain your Associate of Science in Computer Networking, a path that has many benefits.
Computer Networking Certificate vs. Associate Degree
What are the differences between a certificate and a degree? Perhaps the biggest difference lies in the time it takes to achieve each one. Our certificate program takes approximately 48 weeks of study while our associate program takes approximately 75 weeks.
Another difference is the material you can expect to learn during your program. While both the certificate and the degree programs prepare you for national certification exams to solidify your knowledge, the associate program is more in-depth.
The Benefits of Obtaining an Associate Degree in Computer Networking
Although a certificate program can get you started in the field faster, there are some benefits to obtaining your associate degree instead.
- More education advancement opportunity: Do you plan on taking your education even further? For example, do you plan on obtaining a bachelor’s degree? If so, receiving an associate degree now will shorten that path. Plus, you’ll be able to work to gain experience with your degree and apply for a bachelor’s program in the future.
- More career opportunity: Organizations may wish to hire individuals with associate degrees versus those with certificates. It may also be possible to obtain various careers you wouldn’t be able to get with a certificate alone.
- Higher earning potential: Some organizations will pay a higher salary to an individual who has more education under their belt.
What Can You Do With an Associate Degree?
What careers in computer networking can you get with an associate degree? There are many options in this fast-growing field. Some examples of these careers include:
- Computer Support Specialist
- IT Support Specialist
- Network & Security Administrator
- Information & Security Analyst
- Computer Network Architect
Learn More About Our Computer Networking Program Today
Cambridge College of Healthcare & Technology is proud to offer an in-depth Computer Networking program for students interested in the field. To learn more about our program or to apply today, give us a call at 877-206-4279 or send us a message. We can’t wait to hear from you!