Bachelor Degree in Health Information Management
Healthcare organizations are responsible for improving outcomes through patient information gathering and analysis. To do so, they must hire health information management (HIM) professionals with experience.
As an HIM professional, you’ll help organizations ensure records are accessible to patients and physicians, accurate billing practices are being followed and information sharing is occurring to promote the continuity of care.
Our Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management program prepares you for career success. During your program, you’ll learn how to:
- Create, collect and analyze health records
- Utilize healthcare software to improve outcomes
- Manage the quality of processes related to record integrity
- Bill and code medical diagnoses and treatments
Does the Program Provide National Certification Exam Preparation?
Yes. The Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management program prepares students for the following certification exams:
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
- Certified Coding Specialist
- Certified Coding Associate
How Does It Prepare Me for the Certification Exams?
It includes 37 courses to give you everything you need for certification success. Plus, you’ll gain hands-on training in every aspect of HIM. As a result, you’ll be able to take the required exams with confidence.
Health Information Management Bachelor’s Program Curriculum
- Introduction to Health Science
- Anatomy & Physiology I
- Anatomy & Physiology II
- Anatomy & Physiology Lab
- Medical Terminology
- English Composition
- College Algebra
- Introduction to Psychology
- Fundamentals of Speech
- Humanities I
- Introduction to Computers
- English Composition II
- Introduction to Sociology
- History I
- History II
- American Government
- Introduction to Health Information Management
- Principles of Healthcare Management
- Legal & Ethical Aspects of Health Information Management
- CPT and HCPCS Coding
- Healthcare Records Data Management
- Electronic Health Records in Healthcare Today
- Project Management for HIM Professionals
- Healthcare Finance
- Health Information Management Organizational Leadership
- Principles of Healthcare Compliance
- Coding and Classification Systems I
- Healthcare Research and Data Analysis
- Data Governance for the HIM Profession
- Quality Performance Improvement Concepts
- Human Resources in Health Information Management
- Coding and Classification Systems II
- Revenue Cycle Management for the HIM Professional
- HIM Seminar
Health information management is a growing field. Many organizations are looking for health information specialists to help them offer better care through patient record management.
Due to this need, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, careers in health information management are expected to grow by 8% between now and 2029, which is much faster than average.
What can you do with a Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management degree? There are many opportunities available:
- HIM Quality Analyst
- Coding Specialist
- HIM Coordinator
- Record Retention Specialist
- Clinical Documentation Specialist
Regardless of the career path you choose, you’ll spend your days ensuring medical records are accessible and accurate for patients, physicians and other care teams.
Bachelor of Science
After you complete your program, you’ll receive your Bachelor of Science degree. You’ll also be eligible for entry-level employment in the field of health information management.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management
- 100% online
- 75 weeks