Many students believe there are only a few careers to choose from when interested in joining the medical field. For example, you could become a doctor, a nurse or a surgeon. There are other rewarding career paths to consider, however, such as medical assisting. As a medical assistant, you’ll get to make a difference in the lives of many patients.
How You’ll Start Your Day as a Medical Assistant in Orlando
What will your day look like as a medical assistant? It depends on where you choose to work. For example, you have the option to work in:
- Doctor’s offices
- Long-term care facilities
And more. Each healthcare facility will have its own unique patients to serve. Plus, your workday may begin at different times. For example, in a doctor’s office, you may work the typical 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. In a hospital setting, you may start your workday at night.
What Will Your Day-to-Day Responsibilities Look Like?
As a medical assistant, you’ll have a wide range of responsibilities that include both medical and clerical duties, no matter where you choose to work. This is one of the perks of being a medical assistant—there’s always something new to learn and do.
Medical Care Duties
Your priority is assisting medical professionals in patient care. The type of patient care you perform will depend on where you choose to work. Some of the most common medical assistant care duties include:
- Obtaining patient medical histories
- Taking and recording patient vitals
- Assisting patients and providers with medical treatment
- Performing venipunctures for diagnostic tests
- Obtaining urine and fluid samples
- Performing simple surgical procedures and injections
Medical assistants are typically responsible for various clerical duties as well. It’s a medical position that requires you to balance patient care and behind-the-scenes work. Some of your clerical responsibilities may include:
- Entering patient information and care plans into the electronic medical record (EMR)
- Recording diagnoses and procedures
- Coding and billing procedures for insurance payment
- Scheduling appointments and procedures
- Returning patient messages
- Speaking to patients on the phone recording test results and treatment plans
Start Your Orlando Medical Assistant Career Today
Does a career as a medical assistant in Orlando interest you? Cambridge Institute of Allied Health offers a Medical Assistant program to help you jumpstart your medical career. To learn more about the program or to get started today, give us a call at 877-206-4279 or send us a message.