What Is the Hardest Part of Being a Medical Assistant in Atlanta?
Medical assistants are a critical part of any patient care team. A medical assistant works to support other medical professionals in providing care in a wide range of settings, from hospitals to clinics. And just like any other medical position, there are some challenges that medical assistants face.
The healthcare field comes with its unique challenges. After all, you’re often helping support patients and families going through difficult times. Some of the challenges you may face each day include:
- Medical emergencies: As a medical assistant working in any healthcare facility, you’ll surely be involved in a medical emergency at some point. For example, you may take care of a patient who is suffering from an active heart attack. Or, you may need to assist a child through an asthma attack. Medical emergencies can be frightening, but you’ll have the medical knowledge required to make it through.
- Emotional situations: You may work with a patient for a long time who receives sad news. You might build a bond with a patient in your long-term care facility who then passes away. These moments can be emotionally difficult, especially as a part of the patient’s care team.
- Patient trauma: If you work in a hospital or urgent care facility, you’ll probably be exposed to some level of patient trauma. For example, you may need to care for a car accident victim or an individual with traumatic wounds.
The medical assistant career can be stressful and hard at times. The good news is that the good stuff always outweighs the hard stuff. While you get to work, here are some tips for facing all the challenges head-on:
- Take care of YOU: It’s easy to spend your time taking care of others without spending much time on yourself. Get plenty of sleep, drink plenty of water and eat a healthy diet.
- Ask for help: If you’re struggling with a difficult situation, ask others on your team for help. For example, if you feel overwhelmed by a patient’s condition, ask another nurse to step in. There’s no shame in being honest and asking for help when you need it.
- Get a solid education: A solid medical background will help you react properly to any situation. Cambridge offers an in-depth Medical Assistant program for students ready to join the field.
Becoming a medical assistant is a great first step toward a rewarding healthcare career in Atlanta. If you’re ready to start your new career, we’re ready to support you. To learn more about our Medical Assistant program or to apply today, give us a call at 877-206-4279 or send us a message.
More on being a medical assistant