Radiation therapists play a vital role in the treatment of many types of cancer. They administer critical radiation treatment to shrink cancer cells. And due to the nature of the radiation therapy career, there will be moments of stress.
The good news is that the rewarding parts of the career far outweigh the challenges. Plus, a Radiation Therapy program can help prepare you for the field.
The Responsibilities of a Radiation Therapist
As a radiation therapist, your days will be spent in the throes of patient care and radiation therapy planning. Some of the responsibilities you can expect include:
- Administer accurate radiation treatment: You’ll need to perform calculations and prepare radiation equipment to administer accurate doses of radiation. Too much or too little will directly impact patient outcomes.
- Determine proper treatment area: Before starting treatment, you’ll need to determine where the radiation should be applied in the body. You’ll then need to properly position radiation equipment for treatment.
- Support patients and their families through cancer therapy: Perhaps one of the most challenging parts of being a radiation therapist, you must support patients, answer their questions and do what it takes to make them comfortable.
- Maintain radiation therapy equipment: After performing therapy, you must perform routine maintenance on radiation equipment and ensure it’s working properly for each patient.
A Good Education Can Prepare You for the Radiation Therapy Field
While some of these responsibilities are technical, others are emotionally exhausting. Just like any other medical profession, there will surely be moments of stress for you as a radiation therapist. Yet, an in-depth Radiation Therapy program can deliver the tools you need to make it through those moments.
Cambridge’s Radiation Therapy program includes the subject matter you need for success, including:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Health Science
- Radiation Therapy Physics
- Radiation Therapy Patient Care
- Treatment Planning
This means you’ll learn how to best support patients going through cancer. You’ll also learn the ins and outs of preparing radiation therapy treatments that work. You’ll then develop your hands-on skills through a clinical externship, so you can start your career with confidence.
Start Your Radiation Therapy Career With Cambridge
Even though a career as a radiation therapist can be challenging, it’s more than worth it. Allow Cambridge to prepare you for the field through our Radiation Therapy program. To learn more about the program or to apply today, give us a call at 877-206-4279 or send us a message.
More on a radiation therapist career