In the world of IT, certifications are a great way to prove your skills to employers and keep your abilities up-to-date. For computer networking roles, there are certain certifications that will help you get your foot in the door and set you up for career advancement. Let’s take a look at the top certifications needed in computer networking.
The CompTIA A+ certification will open the door to entry-level employment. It tests your knowledge and skills on basic principles of computer hardware, networking and operating systems. Some of the fundamental skills you’ll be tested on include:
- Operating systems
- Software and network troubleshooting and diagnostics
- Identifying and using hardware
- Cloud computing and virtualization
- Hardware and network security
- Mobile devices and laptops
- Types of networks
The CompTIA Network+ certification validates your ability to configure, maintain and troubleshoot networks, all in a secure way. If you want to work in computer networking, this certification will help demonstrate your skills and expertise in this area.
Some of the skills covered in the certification include:
- Explaining how to cable and store technologies
- Basic networking principles, such as physical connections and cloud connectivity
- Best practices for network operations
- Troubleshooting, monitoring and optimizing networks
- Connectivity and performance tools for networks
- Securing wired and wireless networks against attacks
Many computer networking roles need professionals who can navigate cloud technologies. The CompTIA Cloud+ certification is an asset to your future career, as it verifies your ability to implement, optimize and secure cloud environments and the data that’s stored in them.
Some of the topics covered in this certification include:
- Analyzing cloud architecture and design
- Managing cloud security
- Troubleshooting cloud and connectivity security
- Optimizing cloud environments and maintaining cloud operations
- Cloud deployment and automation
With a CompTIA Server+ certification, you’ll prove your ability to install and manage servers in different environments. You’ll also demonstrate your knowledge of troubleshooting servers.
The exam for this certification tests your skills and abilities to:
- Install and manage hardware and storage
- Maintain and configure servers
- Apply security and disaster recovery techniques
- Diagnose and resolve issues with hardware, software and connectivity
- Troubleshoot and remediate storage and security issues
Exams can be completed online or you can locate a nearby testing center. You’ll have to create an account on the CompTIA website and schedule your exam. Make sure you review their exam policies beforehand.
Most importantly, you’ll need to properly prepare. If you’re thinking about taking a computer networking program, make sure it includes certification preparation so you can take the tests with confidence. CompTIA also offers test preparation resources, such as practice tests and book samples.
At Cambridge, we help students stand out to future employers by preparing them for essential certification exams. Plus, our supportive career services department will guide you toward securing employment throughout your program.
Deciding which of the many IT certifications to pursue can be daunting, but you don’t have to go at it alone. Discover which online program is right for you by calling us at 877-206-4279 or send us a message today.