Medical lab technicians play a very important role in patient care. They’re responsible for collecting and analyzing blood and fluid samples to help medical professionals find and diagnose medical conditions. As a medical lab technician, your day will be spent making a difference in the lives of many patients.
A Day in the Life of a Medical Lab Technician
Your day will begin with you arriving at work. Medical lab technicians work in a wide range of facilities, including hospitals, clinics, long-term care facilities and specialty centers. There’s plenty of opportunities for you to choose an employer that fits your interests.
After you arrive at work, your day will begin. You’ll finish a wide range of tasks each day pertaining to laboratory testing and patient care:
- Collecting blood and tissue samples from patients
- Analyzing patient samples
- Testing blood and urine for the presence of drugs or other infiltrants
- Preparing patients for laboratory testing
- Maintaining and troubleshooting laboratory testing equipment
At the end of your shift, you may enter lab results into patient charts or make appointments for the next day. You may also call patients with lab results or discuss findings with medical professionals.
Skills You’ll Need to Be a Medical Lab Technician
To perform all of these necessary duties, you’ll need some skills only an in-depth Medical Lab Technician program can deliver. Some of the skills you’ll develop through our program include:
- Patient care: You must know how to support patients and provide top-of-the-line care, even during frustrating or emotional moments.
- Phlebotomy: You’ll need to understand the art of drawing blood and bodily fluids and proper testing methods. You’ll also need to understand the human body and how it works.
- Communication: To speak with patients and medical staff, you’ll need confidence and an ability to communicate.
- Problem-solving: You must be able to draw conclusions from lab results and make decisions based on those findings.
You can trust that you’ll have everything you need for career success by the time you graduate, including thorough knowledge of laboratory technology and techniques.
Become a Medical Lab Technician With Cambridge
Cambridge is here to help you reach your medical career goals. If you wish to become a medical lab technician, our Medical Lab Technician program is a great place to start. To learn more about the program or to get started toward your new career today, give us a call at 877-206-4279 or send us a message.
More on become a medical lab technician