Medical Billing & Coding Online
Certificate in Medical Billing & Coding
Program Overview: Medical Billing & Coding Online with the Participation of NC-SARA
The rapid growth of the healthcare industry, specifically the medical billing and coding field, has created significant opportunities for qualified individuals. To take advantage of these opportunities, you candidates must first obtain a degree and the skills and training that comes with it. For many people, a traditional medical coding and billing program is difficult to manage, especially when juggling work, family and a social life.
Cambridge College of Healthcare & Technology’s online Medical Billing and Coding program offers the flexibility and focused curriculum students need to jumpstart their careers without sacrificing in other areas of their lives.
How Does the Online Experience Differ From a Traditional Program?
The Medical Billing and Coding Online program offers the same quality training, education and student support as a traditional, campus-based experience, with several advantages, including:
- Flexible learning: The online delivery of instruction and coursework via our distance learning platform allows students to learn at their own pace, where and when they like. Instruction is delivered in the form of online chats, videos and bulletin board interactions. Students are able to interact with and learn from classmates and the instructor in real-time or via the platforms chat and bulletin functionality.
- Focused curriculum: Every course in the program has been carefully chosen to provide students the optimal training and knowledge without extra content. The focused curriculum streamlines the learning process and allows students to complete the program in as little as nine months.
- Affordability: Many students overlook the costs of traveling to and from campus and parking. The online program eliminates the cost and inconvenience of traveling to campus, saving students time and money.
By enrolling in the Medical Billing and Coding Online program at Cambridge College, students can obtain the education and training classes needed to seek entry-level employment, all without ever setting foot on campus.
Contact an Advisor to Learn More About the Medical Billing and Coding Online Program
The advisors at Cambridge College are always available to offer additional information and insight regarding any of our programs or to discuss your career goals. Contact an advisor to learn more about the Medical Billing and Coding Online program and how it can help you achieve your career goals.
Medical Billing and Coding Industry Certifications available for the Certificate Program
- Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS) CBCS through the National Health career Association (NHA). The skills learned through the NHA CBCS certification are essential to hospitals, physician offices, surgery centers, nursing homes, dental offices, home healthcare agencies, mental health facilities and even insurance companies and consulting firms.
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) In passing the CPC through AAPC, it demonstrates to the employers that you possess expertise in assigning accurate medical codes, knowledge of coding guidelines and regulations, proficiency across a wide range of services, thorough grasp of A&P and medical terminology and understand how to integrate medical coding.
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA) through AHIMA The CCA designation has been nationally recognized standard of achievement in the health information management (HIM) field. A person with a CCA exhibits a level of commitment, competency, and professional capability that is valued by employers, demonstrate a commitment to the coding profession
The demand for qualified medical billing and coding specialists is on the rise. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, employment opportunities for medical billing and coding specialists are expected to grow at least 20 percent between 2010 and 2020.
Changes in Medicare and Medicaid, combined with the emergence of electronic medical records management systems, offer additional employment opportunities for qualified medical billing and coding specialists.
Candidates looking to break into the medical billing and coding field require certification, as well as a specific set of skills and knowledge.
Medical billing and coding specialists—also called health information technicians and electronic health records specialists—manage patient data, ranging from bills and payments to treatment notes and patient imaging records.
What Does a Medical Billing & Coding Technician Do?
Under the supervision of physicians and medical administrators, medical billing and coding specialists conduct a wide range of medical billing and coding duties involving:
- Electronic health record abstraction
- Electronic claim and practice management data requirements
- HIPPA requirements
- Medical billing software
- Medical record privacy laws
- Microsoft Office software
Successful completion of this program will earn you a certificate in Medical Billing and Coding. Additionally, you’ll be able to confidently sit for the Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist exam offered through the National Health Career Association.
- Certificate program
- Online program
- Thorough preparation for the medical record keeping certification exam
Cambridge approved to participate in NC-SARA
Cambridge College of Healthcare & Technology has been approved by (Florida) to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education.
Cambridge Institute of Allied Health and Technology has been approved by (Florida) to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education.
Please visit nc-sara.org to learn more.
Recent Medical Billing & Coding News & Articles
- Are Online Degrees Worth It?
Many students wish to obtain a degree, yet they’re unable to attend classroom study due to work or family responsibilities. Many simply want an alternative to traditional education. Online degree programs… Read more »
- Is Medical Billing and Coding Right for Me?
You might’ve heard people talking about medical billing and coding as a great career option. It’s a growing industry, and there’s currently a huge need for medical billers and coders… Read more »
- How to Get Started in Medical Billing and Coding
Not all careers within the medical field require hands-on patient care. In fact, medical billing and coding specialists spend their time working with insurance companies to ensure patients and medical… Read more »