As a data scientist technician, you’ll spend your days collecting, analyzing and interpreting data. With this data, you’ll help businesses and organizations make critical decisions needed for growth. To be successful in data science, there are some critical skills you need.
The Critical Skills You Need for Career Success
Data scientist technicians must have a mix of hard skills and soft skills. Hard skills are those that are learned or gathered over time through education and experience. They’re the technical skills you need to perform your job duties. Soft skills are non-technical skills that help you communicate and interact with others.
The data scientist technician career is a highly technical one. You’ll need to attend a Data & Project Management program such as the one offered through Cambridge to gain the knowledge necessary for success. Plus, you’ll need a few years of on-the-job experience to hone hard skills, including:
- Data analysis: You’ll need to be able to pull insights from large data sets. This means you must understand which data is most important. You’ll also need to inspect, transform and model data to fit your organization’s needs.
- Software usage: Data science requires the use of various types of software and tech tools like Excel, Tableau and Python to name a few.
- Data wrangling: You’ll need to know how to obtain, clean and structure data in a way that’s easy to visualize and learn from.
- Data management: Data scientist technicians must understand how to store data securely and cost-effectively. They must also be able to educate others on how to use data properly.
Beyond technical skill, data scientist technicians must also have some critical soft skills:
- Attention to detail: Data management requires you to pay attention to the small details to see the bigger picture. When it comes to making decisions based on data, every piece matters.
- Communication: You’ll need to communicate often complex data in a simple way to help your organization problem solve. Plus, you’ll need to be able to communicate with your colleagues on a daily basis.
- Problem-solving: As a data scientist technician, one of your main responsibilities is to use data to solve problems. You’ll need to be able to think critically about data and how best to obtain it, manage it and analyze it.
- Curiosity: As a data scientist tech, you’ll need to dig deeper than the surface results. You’ll need to be inquisitive so you can find true solutions to problems through data.
Reach Out to Cambridge Today to Get Started
Are you ready to start your new career as a data scientist technician? Your journey begins at Cambridge. To learn more about our Data & Project Management program, call us today at 877-206-4279 or send us a message.