IV Therapy Infusion Training
Certificate in IV Therapy Infusion
This 30 contact hour course provides training for Licensed LPNs and RNs in IV Infusion Therapy. This post licensure course is designed to prove specific skills required by many employers of LPNs and RNs. Hands-on session includes demonstration of PIV catheter insertion by the instructor and practice by the students.
Knowledge is assessed with a post test. Skill validation includes venipuncture and IV catheter insertion by attendees under supervision of a preceptor. Certificate of completion is awarded up successful completion of the entire course.
IV Fusion Therapy: 30 clock hours
Upon completion of this course, the motivated learner will validate competency and will be able to:
- Define intravenous therapy
- Describe indications for IV therapy
- Communicate an overview of specific regulations and legal considerations of IV therapy
- Explain fluid and electrolytes and acid-base balance as it applies to intravenous therapy
- Identify grouping and classifications of IV drugs
- Explain IV administration method
- List measures to prevent medication errors
- Demonstrate appropriate patient assessment prior to, during and post IV drug administration
- Explain the circulatory system as it applies to IV therapy
- Explain the selection process of peripheral veins appropriate for venipuncture and IV therapy
- Demonstrate appropriate infection Control measures
- Provide overview of short term and long term vascular access devices
- Explain the equipment and supplies selection for venipuncture and IV therapy
- Demonstrate an IV drip calculation
- Explain how to institute a patient and caregiver education program
- Explain IV catheter insertion and troubleshooting technique
- Demonstrate skill in routine care and maintenance
- Demonstrate central venous access device assessment
- Identify nursing measures to prevent and manage potential complications related to intravenous therapy
- List the documentation guidelines
Hands-on session includes demonstration PIV catheter insertion by the instructor and practice by the students.
Knowledge is assessed with a post test. Skill validation includes venipuncture and IV catheter insertion by attendees under supervision of a preceptor. Certificate of completion is awarded up on successful completion of the entire course.
*This course does not fall under the grant of accreditation for the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).