Students interested in a career in the medical field have many options to consider. If you wish to jumpstart your medical career, we recommend considering medical assisting. As a medical assistant, you’ll support doctors and other healthcare professionals in patient care. Plus, you’ll be able to start your career in less than a year.
What Does a Medical Assistant Do?
Certified medical assistants work under the supervision of physicians to help deliver high-quality patient care. Each day, you might:
- Schedule patient appointments
- Prep patients for exams and surgical procedures
- Chart vital signs
- Perform injections and minor procedures such as suturing
- Code and bill procedures for insurance billing purposes
- Perform administrative duties such as returning patient phone calls
Where Do Medical Assistants Work?
You can find medical assistants in many healthcare facilities. For example, medical assistants often support doctors in clinics. Or they might support care teams in a hospital or in-patient setting. Other places of employment include:
- Long-term care facilities such as nursing homes
- Therapy centers
- Specialty clinics
- Pediatric hospitals
Is a Medical Assistant Career the Right Choice for You?
With so many career options, how do you know if a medical assistant career is right for you? If you want to make a difference in the lives of patients of all ages, this is a great start. You might find medical assisting to be your dream career if you want to:
- Work with medical professionals from various fields
- Support patients and families struggling through tough times
- Be responsible for a mix of administrative and healthcare duties
- Have a flexible schedule that offers weekend and night scheduling opportunities
- Start your medical career in less than a year
- Gain on-the-job experience before moving forward to become a nurse or physician
How to Become a Medical Assistant in Miami
After you obtain your high school diploma or GED, becoming a medical assistant can happen fairly quickly. You’ll need to attend an accredited Miami Medical Assistant program, such as the one offered through Cambridge. Earning your diploma will take around 36 weeks.
After program completion, you’ll be able to sit for the RMA, CMA and NCCT national registry and certification exams. With certification, you’ll be ready to enter the field.
Learn More About Our Medical Assistant Program Today
Interested in becoming a medical assistant in Miami? We’re here to support you. To learn more about our Medical Assistant program or to apply today, give us a call at 877-206-4279 or send us a message.